Wednesday 15 August 2007

Delta Airlines

I am currently blogging at Gatwick. The plane landed on time and within 23 minutes I had my luggage and been through passport control and Customs. Unfortunately I gave myself 2 hours to accomplish this and I cannot catch the train until 10.00 as I have an off peak ticket (but it only cost £17 - can I claim that the flight wasn't delayed and purchase a more expoensive ticket on the travel insurance). So I thought I would use the time to post some thoughts about my trip to the US in this time. The biggest point of contention is the Delta operation in JFK. In Nashville they were fine, in London they were fine but at JFK it is just confusion and chaos. On arrival at the airport there are signs leading you to the departure lounge which just stop in a multi storey car park. Thanks. On arrival at the terminal you stand in line. In London this took 5 minutes and Delta were very efficient but not this time. Everyone regardless of where they were going stood in one line. Anybody who arrived late for their flight went to the front of the queue. So when I arrived 2.5 hours before the flight I was at the back of the queue. 1.5 hours later I made it to the front with people going to Nice, Milan, Frankfurt, Dublin, Bucharest and Mexico City having been placed in front of me. Just as it is my turn a family of four with four huge bags where again but in front of me, also going to London. When I made it to the desk the lady suggested that I was lucky to make the flight arriving so late and I should arrive earlier. When I pointed out how long I had been there she accused me of being impertinent and made me go through the more rigorous security check for those who book late (no), paid cash (no) or raised some suspicions to the check in staff (must be the funny accent). The moral of the story seems to be if you turn up when they ask you get abused and ignored, if you turn up late you are rewarded and made to feel special. Strange way to operate a business if they want repeat custom and good word of mouth marketing.

No comments: