Tuesday 3 May 2011

The death of Osama

I was struggling to decide what to think about the death. It is true he masterminded a heinous crime and continued to preach death and hatred and while I suspect he would have struggled to be taken alive I would have liked the people involved to try a little harder. As it is his death solves nothing, changes nothing and probably only pleases those that mistake justice for vengeance. I would also be surprised if it brought any kind of release or ending to the families involved. It does not bring their loved ones back and does not erase the pain or manner of their death. I think Martin Luther King (as so often) sums it up well when he said

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy...Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: